To help your child learn the lower case letter z.
At the end of the lesson your child will be able to recognize the lower case letter z and say its name.
Pre-kindergarten – Kindergarten
What you will need:
- Three pencils (or colored pencil crayons, or pens)
- A piece of paper
What to do:
- Use three pencils to create a letter z on the table (one horizontal at the bottom, one diagonal from bottom left to top right, and one placed horizontally on top).
- Tell your child that this is the small letter z and that the sound it makes is ‘zuh’.
- Ask them to look at the sculpture you have made with the pencils and ask them to try to mimic it and draw their own letter z.
- Have your child draw a few more ‘z’s on the paper. You can show your child that the difference between the upper case Z and the lower case z is a matter of size.
If your child learns the lower case z right away, have them work on the supplemental worksheets for the letter Z.
Print out the attached worksheet. Ask your child to complete the worksheet by themselves. Feel free to help out if they get stuck or ask any questions.
In order to see if your child has achieved the goal of this lesson, write the small letter z on a piece of paper surrounded by other letters. Ask your child to look at the group of letters and pick out the letter z.