The objective of this lesson is to help your child learn to recognize and write the capital letter U.
At the end of the lesson your child will be able to recognize the letter U and say its name.
Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten.
What you will need:
- A piece of paper
- A crayon
What to do:
- Draw the letter U on the piece of paper and ask your child to repeat it.
- Ask them to draw an umbrella on the paper. You can show them that to draw a simple umbrella you can draw a straight line up and down with a curved line on top of it.
- Write “Umbrella” underneath the drawing.
- Show them that the word ‘umbrella’ starts with the letter U.
- Tell them the sound that U makes is ‘uh’.
If your child learns the capital letter U right away, introduce the lower case letter u.
Print out the attached worksheet. Ask your child to complete the worksheet by themselves. Feel free to help them if they get stuck or ask any questions.
In order to see if your child has achieved the goal of this lesson, write a few different letters, including U, on the piece of paper and have them circle the letter U.