The objective of this lesson is to help your child learn to recognize and write the capital letter S.
At the end of the lesson your child will be able to recognize the letter S and say its name.
Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten.
What you will need:
- A wipe board
- A dry erase (not permanent) marker
What to do:
- Draw the letter S on the wipe board.
- Take your child’s hand and guide them to make their own S.
- Tell them the name of the letter and the sound it makes (‘sss’) and ask them to repeat it.
- Draw a few S-shaped snakes on the white board and tell them that snake starts with the letter S, just like it looks like the letter S. Write the word ‘Snake’ to show them the letter’s placement within the word.
If your child learns the capital letter S right away, introduce the lower case letter s.
Print out the attached worksheet. Ask your child to complete the worksheet by themselves. Feel free to help them if they get stuck or ask any questions.
In order to see if your child has achieved the goal of this lesson, write a few different letters, including S, on the wipe board and have them circle the letter S.