The objective of this lesson is to teach your child to recognize and write the capital letter I.
At the end of the lesson your child will be able to recognize the letter I and say its name.
Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten.
What you will need:
- A stick of chalk
- Some sidewalk to draw on
- Some cubes of ice
What to do:
- Go outside with your child, some chalk and a few cubes of ice. Find a nice empty space on the sidewalk.
- Draw the letter I on the sidewalk with the chalk.
- Draw an igloo beside the letter I.
- Tell your child that this is the capital letter I and tell them the sound it makes (‘ih’).
- Tell them that the word ‘Igloo’ starts with the letter I, as does the word ‘Ice’. Put an ice cube on the igloo and let them play with the ice while they repeat the letter I’s name and sound.
If your child learns the capital letter I right away, introduce the lower case letter i.
Print out the attached worksheet. Ask your child to complete the worksheet by themselves. Feel free to help them if they get stuck or ask any questions.
In order to see if your child has achieved the goal of this lesson, write a few different letters including the letter I on the sidewalk. Give your child the chalk and ask them to circle the letter I.