For many of us in the United States and my native Canada, it’s been getting very cold! And many of us have been seeing record snowfalls. Not us, this year – living in central Florida means it’s going to be a green Christmas for our family. But it’s fun to watch the snow flurries falling in other parts of the country!
The other day our daughter made a little craft out of an empty tin of Trader Joe’s Green Tea Mints (which are really quite good, by the way, if you like the taste of green tea). I thought it was very creative and figured I’d share it here. I’m not sure where she got it from – she thinks it might have been from an American Girl magazine from a few years ago.
To make a little beach out of a tin, you simply do the following:
- 1. Get a tin of mints – Altoids, or Trader Joe’s Green Tea Mints, or similar
- 2. Open up the tin
- 3. Paint one side of the tin sea blue, like the water of the ocean
- 4. Paint or decorate the outside of the tin, if you like
- 5. Fill the other side of the tin with sand, like a sandy beach
- 6. Add a little rectangle of colored felt or construction paper for a towel
- 7. Add a paper umbrella, like the kind you find in mixed alcoholic drinks
- 8. Add whatever other beach decorations you like – small shells, etc.
And there you are! Now you’ve got little bit of summer sun you can enjoy during the winter.
Stay warm out there!